Samburu Governor Moses Lenolkulal is seeking compensation from the Kenya Defence Forces for the death of two children who were blown up in Archers Post, Laresoro area.
“It is quite unfortunate that the herds, especially young boys who are grazing in the community land are losing lives, are losing limbs in these unfortunate incidences. We continue to lose lives, we continue exposing the people who go for rescue in great danger because there is quite a number of unexploded devices in the area, ” said Lenolkulal.
The 14-year-old boy Katiba Lesurko wasgrazing goats at Archers Post in Samburu County was killed after stepping on an explosive device used during training by the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF).
The Governor said another boy who was also herding goats in the same area, was seriously mutilated by the”bomb” during the early morning incident and was taken to a Meru hospital. He is in critical condition, he said.
He regretted that this was the second case in a fortnight after another 13-year-old boy was blown up after stepping on a device at Ndonyo Enanka which is according to the locals it is a black spot within the Army training range. The incident occurred on November 24.
Lenolkulal was incident took despite taking up the issue with KDF tangible action had been taken. He now wants KDF officers operating at Archers Post to immediately clear the place of all explosives that might have been left behind.
“…What needs to be done is clearly demarcate the area of armed forces exercise and the public land but equally to also have the armed forces taking responsibility of unmobbed devices, because they continue to pose a great risk to communities around archer’s post.”